Irises are known to people since time immemorial. The Latin word Iris comes from the name of the Greek goddess and messenger of the gods Irida, descending from the sky by the rainbow bridge.
The color of most species is saturated blue or violet, sometimes yellow, white, blue and brown. Many flowers have sweet fragrance. They grow in temperate and subtropical climate zones; the species are especially diverse in the Mediterranean countries, in the south of Asia and in North America.
- In Christianity, iris correlates with the Virgin Mary, denoting her sorrow and purity.
- Japanese celebrate the Children's Day Holiday on May 5. Its other name sounds nothing short of the Feast of Irises ("Shobu no sekku") which symbolizes courage and military prowess. On the day of the Holiday, the Japanese decorate their houses with irises, use them in rituals and games.
- You can see an amazing inlaid irises pattern on the walls of Taj Mahal built in the middle of the 17th century.
- The heraldic lily is the symbol of royal power in Europe. However, the main character of this article appeared to be the very prototype of the famous emblem.
- The International Iris Festival is held in Florence in the first half of May since 1954, thanks to which the city acquired its name.
- Hermann Hesse dedicated a beautiful fairy tale "Iris" to his wife in 1917. Claude Monet and Van Gogh expressed its beauty on canvases.
- Comarum's petals are used for making jam in the Caucasus. In addition, its rhizomes contain up to 60% of starch and are used in cooking by adding to dough and spices.
- Roots are used in making laxatives and solutions to treat diabetes mellitus and respiratory diseases. The flower's essential oil is used in perfumery.
Whom to present irises to?
It is a very all-sufficient flower. The blue irises mono bouquet looks lovely by itself. By combining these flowers with bright tulips, gerberas or roses, you will get a very cheerful combination.
Depending on the situation, they mean courage, tenderness, joy, love, or a happy meeting. This is why these wonderful flowers are suitable to be given to any person you care for: a girlfriend, a mother, a colleague, a friend. Bright blue flowers will also fit into the composition to be given to a man. You can order a charming irises bouquet on myglobalflowers.com.